Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I Believe

             I didn’t get a chance to write my journal pages this morning.  I woke up thinking about a scene that I had trouble with yesterday and figured I’d better get down on paper what came from my subconscious before it evaporated.  Usually in the mornings, I will get a cup of coffee and sit with a spiral notebook and just start writing.  I’ve done this morning journaling since I read Julia Cameron’s The Artist Way.  “Morning pages” she calls them. 
            The things I write in those pages are monotonous but sometimes enlightening.  One thing I try to do is to jot down my feelings at the moment, physical, mental, emotional and spiritual feelings.  That’s what I am, you know, a person with all those feelings.  The trouble with me is that a lot of times I can’t identify them.  I don’t have a lot of trouble understand what is going on with me physically; if my head hurts or my feet are cold, I know it.  But if my emotional feelings are hurt, I have the habit of denying them.  Sometimes, I hide from the idea that I feel disconnected from God.  Sometimes I hide from everything, isolate and zone out so much that I don’t know what’s going on.  It takes a lot of work to become self-aware.
            Lately, I’d say for nearly a month now, I have been writing daily planned to-do lists in my journals.  Over the weekend, I read about three weeks worth of posts and realized that my plans and intentions are being written, yet, I’m not acting on them.  I have been getting lost in the day, filling my time with writing on my novel, eating, and watching TV.  After reading those posts, I realized something. I have been adjusting to a new way of life and I’m not so sure of the way.
            Over the course of the month, I have had too many headaches, and a childish need for approval from too many people.  I have worried what people think of me.  I have isolated.  I have sat in front of my TV and munched on unhealthy snacks.  I have made plans to go to the library to write so I could be around people, to go to the recreation center to workout, to call friends and just have a long conversation, yet those things haven’t happened as much as I would like.  I believe this is called a codependent slip, indulging in unhealthy patterns as a way of coping with my present unknown.
            So yesterday in my journal, I decided to stop planning on things that I don’t seem to be doing anyway.  I decided to write some of my beliefs as I really know them.  Here’s what I wrote: I am a spiritual as well as a physical being. I believe in God, and I have doubts that Jesus is the only way to get to God.  I know that I can write and that it is a wonderful gift.  I believe that words are holy and powerful things.  I believe that I will be ok.
            Have a great day!
            Love,
            Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment