Friday, March 30, 2012

Truth—What is it?

            Last September in a presentation on blogging and websites, we were encouraged to write a manifesto.  At the time, I decided my declaration of purpose would be to write the truth.  But, (imagine a manure-eating dog-like grin on my face at this moment.) I forgot all about writing a manifesto and just started blogging helter-skelter.  Today, I realized the manifesto for writings by karen will be just that—anything goes.  I knew now I wanted to include the important things in my life, my writing life, my family, my recovery, my walk with my Higher Power.
            So what is writing my truth?  There’s no wonder my brain has taken a few ninety-degree turns since I started blogging and writing the first draft of my novel.  My truth changes from time to time; sometimes it changes from minute to minute. 
            A new truth I have learned is I can't tell another person how or what to feel.  If I am capable and have the right of choosing how I feel about something, then who am I to dictate another’s feelings?  I mean think about it; don’t you hate for someone to tell you not to feel sad when you feel sad, or that you shouldn’t be angry when you’re clearly angry?  (When I am pissed off and someone tells me to calm down, I just get more pissed.) Wouldn’t you rather they just listen?  But still it’s hard sometimes to keep from telling a person she or he ought not to feel something when I can see they are in pain.  I understand now when I do relapse into trying to control another it’s because I feel uncomfortable and powerless over their feelings.  Coaching another person how to feel or not to feel is controlling in order to make me feel better.  (Just a note to parents, I am talking about adult-to-adult relationships.)
            But will such a personal truth of not controlling others get in the way of writing fiction or non-fiction?  I mean, my goodness, when I do that god-like thing of creating characters (who feel like real people in my head as I think about their positive and negative traits and how they might react to this or that) and set them up to have conflict and tension—that’s not just telling them how to feel, but making them feel it. 
            I have mentioned in the post Commitment about my going to Codependent Anonymous (CoDA) for several years.  This recovery group has taught me another amazing truth—there is a God and it isn’t me.  Actually, getting back to the idea truth changes, it makes sense to me my changing truth comes from my limited vision of the nature of God.  My human understanding of a Higher Power is restricted, but finally now it takes in the idea of inclusion.  My truth and your truth may not be the same, but our kaleidoscope truths are all in the arms of something bigger and better than any person.
            I would love to hear what saying, feeling, or writing the truth means to you.
Love,
Karen 

2 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Just read this post. I think I am Blog-challenged. I just recently "discovered" comments from several other bloggers -- all inside my blog site -- but I didn't know they were there. I do get emails occasionally from other bloggers -- with their new post. I thought that was the only way others sent me their new posts.

    Lo and behold, some of them are coming directly to my blogsite -- www.SarahSaysExpressYourself.blogspot.com -- and I just figured it out.
    = = = =
    All of that as explanation and to say I so appreciate many comments you make in the blog above. I think we must be like-minded about God and a Higher Power. And writing about "truth" . . . his/mine/and ours . . . :)

    Is there a way for me to sign on as a "follower" of yours and get your new posts in emails?

    You can do that on my blog site. If you do, you will find several "Godly" posts. esp. 2/2/2011, 2/29/2011, 8/26/2011, 2/21/2012. Some others are Rants, some humorous remembrances of my children's antics.

    Like you, I write about various and sundry thoughts and ideas that rumble around in my brain. Once I sort them out and get them down on paper, I can let them go. For awhile.

    I guess that's what makes us writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Sarah. You can sign up for email if you scroll down to the bottome of the blog and look for "subscrible by email." I'm not sure why it is down at the bottom. I need to figure out how to design my blog a little better.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete